- No reopening till the scientific knowledge helps it
- Police-free faculties
- All faculties have to be supported to perform as group faculties with sufficient numbers of counselors and nurses and group/guardian outreach employees
- Secure circumstances together with decrease class sizes, PPE, cleansing, testing, and different key protocols
- Equitable entry to on-line studying
- Assist for our communities and households, together with moratorium on evictions/foreclosures, offering direct money help to these not capable of work or who’re unemployed, and different crucial social wants
- Moratorium on new constitution or voucher packages and standardized testing
- Sufficient and equitable funding, by means of federal stimulus
- Huge infusion of federal cash to help the reopening funded by taxing billionaires and Wall Road
For the reason that begin of the pandemic, unions have helped bolster security protocols for retail employees, given them help to push again on choices that put them in danger, and allowed them extra affect over choices that affect them immediately. In some circumstances, Appelbaum stated, the RWDSU and different unions have been capable of negotiate greater pay, higher severance, and extra advantages akin to paid break day to permit employees to quarantine or recuperate from sickness, the place needed.
● Fully steam ahead on reopening schools? No way, say teachers, write Monique Dols and Peter Lamphere:
Lecturers acknowledge the academic and socioemotional harm that’s being achieved to college students by means of distant studying, and we desperately miss our college students and lecture rooms.
However many people are coming to the conclusion that any opening of college buildings, nonetheless partial or “hybrid,” carries super dangers and may’t be achieved safely—particularly whereas the group unfold is rising nationally.
● New York state legislature considers additional whistleblower protections—essential at any time, important through the pandemic.